Monday, February 11, 2008

Fun Sunday...

This weekend was the missions conference at church. We didn't get to participate in near as many of the activities as we would have liked- but we had a lot of conflicting events.

Anyway, yesterday many of the missionaries were still there, and I got to visit with my former 3d grade teacher, who was wonderful, our former senior pastor and his wife, and the parents of some kids I grew up with in the church.



After church we went and picked up Riley, and then headed to lunch with some friends of ours.

7 kids at Papacitas was....actually not that bad. :) The kids really were all well behaved, and we had no major meltdowns or anything. Grace did manage to spill an entire bowl of salsa on her brand new dress, but thats life.



After lunch we brought Riley back to the house and played some Rock Band. That game is so fun to play with a bunch of people. :) Then it was Awana and home.

I worked some more on editing pictures, and Aaron watched a couple movies.



All in all, it was a good day. However, there was something during lunch, that I just need to get out.

A little background , which most of you know already. Aaron and I were members of a church for a long time. We got close to two couples in particular, one of them had kids the same age as Sadie and Connor. The church went through a hard time that effected this couple in particular, and we stood by their side- listening, defending etc. During the rough patch, Aaron and I taught in Connor's Sunday school class every Sunday for months. When I started to get so sick with my pregnancy, our attendance waned (we had already stopped teaching Sunday school) but I was on bed-rest and in and out of the hospital. I tried to keep in contact with these two couples letting them know what was going on, so they could let the church know, and ask them to pray for us.

Two of my friends (outside the church) threw me a baby shower- the two ladies were invited- one of the called the hostess and said they couldn't make it, but they had a gift and would get it to me. Never did. I honestly could care less about the gift. But they called the hostess, not me. From that point forward when I tried to call them, I'd leave messages, and my calls were never returned. Emails were never returned. Matthew was born, I called to let them know, and nothing. Needless to say, even though I was healthy again, and ready to start attending church, we didn't go back to what was once our home church. It really made me very sad, but how could I go back? We ended up at FBC,and are very happy, and the kids love it.

From time to time they have asked about the kids from the one family. I haven't really known what to say.

Anyway, all that to say- as we are walking to our table yesterday I hear "Mom LOOK!" There they were. Both couples. It was hard. Really hard. But again, I felt like the red-headed step child.
I pray that over time the kids will forge new relationships that are stronger- I'm not going to lie- I was/am hurt by what happened- but when I see the kids struggle- it makes me angry.

I know that I didn't do anything wrong. Believe me I've gone over everything time and time and time again- I did nothing wrong. I don't know why they chose to do what they did- but regardless, they did. I can't change it, I can't control it. I've struggled with it- not with letting go of those relationships- since I've long since let go- but with forming new ones- its put a damper on how close I allow myself to get to someone- and thats not fair. So its something I'm working on.

I believe that things happen for a reason- and without going through all that we never would have come back to FBC- and we're so at home there. Its certainly where we need to be.
God is constantly pruning our lives, and I guess sometimes there has to be a little bit of pain to go along with it.

There really was no rhyme or reason to all that- but I feel better for getting it out.
Live and learn, and life goes on.

1 comments:

Gina Marie said...

This type of a church situation has happened to me in the last few months and it has been devastating. . . . Feel free to email me sometime. You are all in my prayers.